What fabrics do you need?
The basis of making children’s clothing is, of course, the fabric. There are many different fabrics, so you probably can’t see the forest for the trees. Are you making children’s clothing for the first time? Then you’re probably tempted to start with a cheap fabric. A more sensible choice would be a slightly more expensive fabric of a good quality. These are usually easier to work with and give a nicer result. To help you find your way between different fabrics, below is a list of the best-selling fabrics to make children’s clothing.
- Qutie kids collection: High-quality cotton, tricot cotton or Nicky velvet fabrics that are easy to work with. Fun patterns to make children’s clothes
- Babycord: this is a bit more sturdy cotton, a bit more difficult to sew but very good quality. These are plain fabrics to make blankets, for example.
- Knitted cotton: this is a thicker cotton so that your child is always nice and warm.
How much fabric do I need?
Have you finally found a beautiful fabric, but you don’t know exactly how much fabric to order for your sewing project? You can use the calculation below to find out how much fabric you need for your children’s clothing. The calculation assumes a width of 1.40, all fabrics on our website meet this requirement!
Shirt for children:
- Long sleeve: 50 to 100 cm
- Short sleeve: 40 to 70 cm.
Child’s knee-length dress with sleeves:
- Babies up to size 80, 50 to 70 cm.
- Children with sizes 86 to 128, 70 to 150 cm.
- Children with sizes 134 to 158, 150 to 190 cm.
Children’s pants: 1x length + 15 cm
- Babies up to size 80 are often satisfied with 60 cm.
- Children with size 104 need about 80cm.
Disclaimer: For children, the height often varies, as children are still growing a lot.
Do you want to make a baby shower gift or are you expecting a baby soon? The list below is very useful to have standard sizes at hand when you are going to order fabrics.
Maxi cosi bag 92,5 x 45cm
Playpen mat 80 x100cm
Cot blanket 150 x120cm
Cot sheet 140 x100cm
Mouth towel 28 x 28cm
Fitted Sheet Stroller 35x75cm,
crib 40x80cm, cot 60x120c
Changing mat cover 95 x 110cm
Baby nest 2 x 1 meter
Where do you buy the fabrics?
Now that you know which fabrics are best to use for your children’s clothing and how much of these you need, it is also useful to know where you can order the fabrics. If you want to see the fabrics in real life, instead of in a photo, you can choose to visit a showroom or go to a market. This is of course the most reliable option, but nowadays there are also very good online shops. What do you have to take into account and how do you get the right substance? Follow the following tips.
- Online fabric stores indicate what the fabrics are suitable for, what the weight is and how to wash them. So know well in advance what you are looking for.
- Contact the online fabric store. Many of the stores are absolutely willing to help you get started and answer your questions, or advise you on what fabric you need.
- Read and post reviews. Most online fabric stores have the opportunity to provide a review on a fabric and the rest of their services. Read these to find out how others have experienced this fabric, but also post them yourself so that you can help your fellow seamstresses.